Monday, January 26, 2015

I'm so lucky!!

I really am the luckiest woman in the world. My husband of 38 years has always given me the privilege of doing what I like to do. When I was raising my 3 children, I was a stay at home mom while they were young, something that was done more often in the 70's than now. 

For as long as I can remember, I've been into some kind of crafts. I have a sign in my craft room I made that says, "I was Crafty when Crafty wasn't Cool!".  That fits me to a tee.  I started out doing counted cross stitch and needle work.  That lead to working for a home party company, "Creative Circle".  I did that because it could be arranged around the kids.  Then as they entered school and we moved a few times, the crafts changed.

In the 80's and 90's, my husband and I owned a woodcraft country store.  I stumbled into tole painting which I found out I could do. Plus owning a store made it easier for me to schedule my time around the kids activities.  My husband cut out almost 80% of my wood and we sold Amish furniture that I painted on. He did all that while still working his full time job. We had our store for over 15 years.
But I do get bored, so I decided to close the business and move on. The kids graduated and so my hubby and I decided to move closer to his work and get a nice piece of property and settle down.  We moved to a beautiful 16 acre property in the country,  Hence the "Country Acre Crafts".

Since I had all this time on my hands and was tired to painting, I decided it was time to try something else.  Plus with so much land, I had pretty much lost my wood cutter.  He was too busy clearing land and what not.

I started scrapbooking over 10 years ago and it has evolved into card making and now vinyl art. After all, I had so much supplies, there had to be something I could do with it. (By the way, that idea never works, we always need more.)

I was having so much fun creating, but I kept watching so many people using die cut machines.  People kept using a machine called the cricket and had cartridges. I loved it.  You could cut a whole sheet of leaves in 2 minutes.  Well, I had to have it, so into my craft room went the first cricket they made an some cartridges.  Well, that machines still sits here today and collects dust.  I hate that machine.  If anyone wants one, let me know it is yours for FREE. Plus I have 3 cartridges.  You pay the shipping and it is yours.

So I did my research and got myself a Spellbinders Grand Calibur.  I love it, but the dies can be a bit pricey. The more time I spent on YouTube, I kept watching videos and a lot of people were talking about another machine, Silhouette Portrait or Cameo.  I must have watched over 100 videos about these machines.  I talked to my hubby about getting one of these machines and now he is rolling his eyes. Which by the way, I could understand, but that didn't stop me. I just decided to get the cheaper portrait and see how I liked it. I'm in love.  In fact I have said...if there is a fire, but sure to grab the portrait machine.

Well a year later, I purchased the Silhouette Cameo and it is the best craft supply I've ever bought and yes, his eyes rolled again.

Now I make all kinds of things for gifts, for ourselves, and hopefully for others that would like to give things as gifts too. We are now going to be starting to make wood signs with sayings, and personalized plaques, glasses and more.

Well now that you have read my story, I'm sure you have figured out why I'm the luckiest woman alive.

I get to do what I love each and every day with the full support of the hubby.  How many woman can say that.  That is why the most favorite thing I have made to date is hanging on my wall.

I hope you visit often to see some of the other things I have created.  I hope to give you some enjoyment too.

I've done lots of projects especially over Christmas for gifts for family and friends.  My favorite item I've made so far is my "Perfect Marriage" vinyl wall decal. I thought I would share this project with you. Hope you enjoy.